Rescatux 0.31 beta 4 has been released.
Update: I add a video from Bóson Treinamentos em Tecnologia which describes quite well the Rescatux 0.31 beta 4 release. Video audio is Portuguese.
- Better handle of /boot/grub2 in Fedora installations when running grub-install or update-grub options
- Update Grub should work in any Grub2 system (previous version only worked on Debian or Ubuntu distributions)
- New option: Promote a Windows user to Administrator
- XFE is the new file manager instead of qtfm
- New option: Unlock a Windows user to re-enable it
- LVM and RAID support for Restore Grub and Update Grub options (It seems it already worked from 0.30.2)
- Handling of directories with spaces when detecting Windows SAM files is not optimal
- Double-clicking on directories on desktop opens Iceweasel (Firefox fork) instead of a file manager
- Bottom bar does not have a shorcut to a file manager as it’s a common practice in modern desktops
Pending features or bugfixes for 0.31 stable release:
- Select keyboard from Grub2 boot or Isolinux boot so that you can type your correct password when resetting Gnu/Linux password
- New option: Easy Grub fix: Runs both Restore Grub and Update Grub options
- New option: Easy Windows Admin that runs: unlock user, promote user to admin and blank admin user password so that you can straight-forward as a windows admin user.
- Rewriting of Windows chntpw based options so that source code is not repeated
Rescatux 0.31b4 size is about 427 Megabytes.
- Packages versions for this release can be found at Rescatux 0.31b4 packages.
- It’s based on Debian Wheezy (Stable) and Debian Sid (for razor-qt).
- The beta download link is: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/rescatuxdownloads/rescatux-beta/
- Bug tracker is found at: Cenatic Forge Rescatux Issue Tracker
I’ve tried myself the distro in my dev environment for the new options, not the old ones and they seem to start ok. Another thing is doing a full test about their complete functionality. Please test the ISO and report back if something that worked on previous stable versions no longer works in this beta version.
Don’t forget that you can use:
Help Rescatux project if you cannot wait:
I am very busy right now at work. So you should expect two, three or four months of Rescatux development stalling. These are some of the funny tasks that anyone can easily contribute to: Making a youtube video for the new options. Make sure documentation for the new options is right. Translate the documentation of new options to Spanish. Make snapshots for new options documentation so that they don’t lack images.
If you want to help please contact us here:
I think that making Rescatux 0.31 stable is more defined than ever. The keyboard support needs to be there so that Gnu/Linux password change is done with the right password and not another one, and also so that people are not annoyed when trying to use chat. Improve the documentation so that there’s nothing missing and nothing more.
There are also these new easy options that combine individual options functionality into one just to make live easier for everyone also but that doesn’t seem too complex to develop and it will encourage to reuse code and thus improve the rescatux_lib library.
This release uses SG2D 2.00 beta 6, which it will be released soon. That means that it supports both BIOS and EFI boot hopefully. You’re invited to test that functionality too.
Thank you and happy download!