Author Topic: SGD booting from HDD presenting only grub rescue (no doc available)  (Read 6174 times)

Offline gambloide

Since the documentation has not been available for quite some time and Google couldn't really help me either I thought maybe someone here might be able to help me.

Here is the situation:

Right now I am juggling more than a hand full of USB Sticks around containing different bootable systems (Windows8 rescue disk, MacOSX rescue disk, Ubuntu live image, rEFIt, etc.)

I wanted to consolidate this mess and therefore bought a small external 1TB USB3.0 HDD.

I partitioned the drive so that it contains one primary partition and an extended partition containing multiple logical partitions.

The primary partition should hold the SGD and the logical partitions the other bootable systems. The idea behind that is that I can use the SGDs "find operating systems" or how it was called, to then boot into the other bootable systems.

After some trouble with Windows (how could it be otherwise...) I managed to put everything where it belongs. I used LiLi (Linux Live USB Creator) which I am constantly using to create my bootable media.

When booting from the hdd I only get a grub rescue cli however.

Everything I found regarding this topic or similar issues link to the documentation, which is not available.

Am I just missing something trivial here?

I really appreciate any tips regarding this matter.

Thank you very much!

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
In order to put SG2D into a USB please check:

SGD - Wiki - How to make - Gnu/Linux (and being usable for storage later)
and also:
install SGD2 on usb Super Grub2 Disk forum post

Any question just ask it.

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.