Author Topic: Is it possible to port the Rescapp?  (Read 7019 times)

Offline thesoundman20

Is it possible to port the Rescapp?
« on: 2013/06/04, 00:13:19 am »
so im trying to port the rescue app to my computer so i dont have to boot up to the disc everytime. id like to be able to use it on a regular basis. i have succesfully started the app but when i try to run any of the features (ie."Windows+ -> Fix MBR+ -> Fix MBR!!") nothing happens. I can navigate through the app, but when i try to actually do something it doesnt work. What do i have to change to make it work? is it in the python file "rescapp.py"? or is it somewhere else?

the only thing i am trying to do is to be able to access the app from my desktop. i work on computers alot and id like to just be able to use the app with hotswap hdds. i have a hdd dock. it would be really nice to be able to just load the drive, fix it, eject the drive and move to the next one. and not have to reboot all the time.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
(adrian15; Edited: Reason: Rescapp is the program name. Not Rescuapp)
« Last Edit: 2013/06/04, 22:36:11 pm by adrian15 »

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: Is it possible to port the Rescapp?
« Reply #1 on: 2013/06/04, 23:10:25 pm »
Requisites

First of all you need to install some packages so that Rescapp can make use of its needed programs.

The list of packages (based on Debian) can be found at: Rescatux 0.30.2 make rescatux hybrid.

As you might see some packages are dependencies of another ones and you need to install only the major ones. Some packages are not needed at all.

Currently dmraid and lvm2 are not used by Rescapp, but they might in the future. Here's what I would use:

Code: [Select]
python-sip
python-qt4
dmraid
lvm2
gksu
gparted
xz-lzma
zenity
syslinux
pastebinit
mbr
ntfs-3g
chntpw
samdump2
bkhive
gawk
iceweasel
xchat

You also needed an updated version of passwd so that chpasswd works. Either your base system has a Wheezy(or newer) passwd or if you have something older you will need to build and backport a version of passwd package. I mean... If you have Squeeze you need the backported passwd.

For chntpw to work you need chntpw-ng version but that's found at the rescapp folder if you get it from Rescatux so that's fine.

Installation

Copy rescapp folder and its desktop file to your desktop.

Path for Rescapp

Then we need some hack because I'm not good enough at programming.

So either you create:
${HOME}/Desktop/rescapp/
or you modify:
rescapp_launcher.sh
file to put the path you want to (and move the rescapp folder accordingly).

You need to edit the .desktop file accordingly.

How to run

Double click the .desktop file.

You run it as a normal user and, hopefully, gksu, will ask you in an easy manner your admin password (I mean the user one).

Be aware of automatic mounts

Rescapp is designed in mind so that no useful partition is mounted. So I'm not sure what would happen to the partitions which you would be using when running Rescapp, probably nothing. Anyway what you want to make sure is that when your insert the to-be-fixed hard disk whatever-is-called doesn't try to mount the hard disks partitions so that you can see them.

If the partition you want to fix is mounted Rescapp won't work as expected.

Feedback

It will nice to know if everything works as expected or not. I'm supposed to make a proper package for Rescapp some day, but I haven't begun yet. Too many repos so that it makes sense. And you know, I haven't tried to use Rescapp in my own Gnu/Linux installation so I might be missing some steps.

If you use it in a regular basis and these instructions help you please check the Donate page. Even if you don't donate you will have some laughs by reading it.

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.

Offline thesoundman20

« Reply #2 on: 2013/06/05, 01:07:48 am »
wow! adrian15 you are amazing!! this is way more help than i was expecting! thank you so much!  i will begin work on this tonight. now lets say that i am able to get this working correctly what is the best way that i can redistribute this so that everyone else can benefit from my hard work?

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
« Reply #3 on: 2013/06/08, 23:06:28 pm »
Please first document your steps in this thread. Once done I might give you wiki edit permissions so that a proper documentation page can be done.

Thank you!

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.