Author Topic: " MBR 12 :" at boot after mbr repair  (Read 7420 times)

Offline notabooter

" MBR 12 :" at boot after mbr repair
« on: 2012/04/30, 05:47:21 am »
Hello, I ran the windows mbr repair (after installing dual boot linux,windows would not start) now when I boot, I get the following screen:

MBR 12:

there is a cursor but it will not accept any input.   Is there a list of commands that this MBR 12 will take?  Can I run the disk again?  I have since reinstalled lubuntu to see if it will fix grub.
After losing windows today, I am desperately seeking to go back to it and stay there for a while with all of my valuable work.

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: " MBR 12 :" at boot after mbr repair
« Reply #1 on: 2012/05/01, 10:38:32 am »
If you only had Windows it makes sense to use the windows mbr repair. Unfortunately the option is at BETA status.
It should not show 12 but boot to the first partition.

When you see MBR: 12 you're supposed to be able to type 1 or 2 and boot into first or second partition in your hard disk, theoricatelly into Windows.

As long as you also have Gnu/Linux I recommend you to use the Restore Grub option to recover it. Once done you will need to run
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install os-prober
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grubfrom your Gnu/Linux system. The osprober package seems to help to Grub on finding Windows installations.

Which version of Rescatux did you use?
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.