Author Topic: Super Grub2 Disk in a floppy  (Read 19675 times)

Offline sinoseque

Super Grub2 Disk in a floppy
« on: 2012/02/16, 03:15:58 am »
Hi, could you explain me how to load super grub2 disk from a floppy disk?

Thx.

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: Super Grub2 Disk in a floppy
« Reply #1 on: 2012/02/18, 17:56:17 pm »
The wiki explanation did not say anything about Super Grub2 Disk.

I have updated it.

How to make a Super Grub Disk or Super Grub2 Disk Floppy

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.

Offline sinoseque

« Reply #2 on: 2012/02/19, 02:10:20 am »
Thx, i have to search the 1.44 mb file, cause the one i have download was 1.9mb.

Offline sinoseque

« Reply #3 on: 2012/02/19, 02:13:52 am »
I can see only 1 file of 1.44mb: super_grub_disk_hybrid-1.98s1.iso, and as far as i know, grub version 1.98 doesn't recognice usb drives "properly", anyway... i'll try, thx.

Offline valuequest

« Reply #4 on: 2012/06/29, 01:55:08 am »
Is an image for version 1.99 beta 1 that is 1.44MB or smaller available for download somewhere?

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
    • El blog de adrian15
« Reply #5 on: 2013/04/07, 12:12:58 pm »
Is an image for version 1.99 beta 1 that is 1.44MB or smaller available for download somewhere?

No, there's not. I think it's in the Jordan's TODO list. Maybe also in mine.
Floppies are from 1981 and we are in 2013 so... I'm not very fan on trying to reduce Super Grub2 Disk size to fit in there.

If you continue insisting more we might finally implement it.

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.

Offline flopster

« Reply #6 on: 2013/06/09, 22:31:33 pm »
the procedure mentioned here is inadequate: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_Howto_make#How_to_make_a_Super_Grub_Disk_or_Super_Grub2_Disk_Floppy.

There is no floppy image in that download, nor is there even a readme file as expected. Even though floppies are from 1981, so too are other technologies that we still use. The still have use for other purposes you are probably not aware of too. Regardless, since the website and links claim to provide a means of using the program on a floppy, the least you can do is make it so, instead of leading people on and letting us spend time figuring out that you can't really do that yet. That is not really expecting too much, is it? Wouldn't that be better than just making excuses after all?

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
    • El blog de adrian15
« Reply #7 on: 2013/06/09, 22:53:21 pm »
the procedure mentioned here is inadequate: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_Howto_make#How_to_make_a_Super_Grub_Disk_or_Super_Grub2_Disk_Floppy.

There is no floppy image in that download, nor is there even a readme file as expected. Even though floppies are from 1981, so too are other technologies that we still use. The still have use for other purposes you are probably not aware of too. Regardless, since the website and links claim to provide a means of using the program on a floppy, the least you can do is make it so, instead of leading people on and letting us spend time figuring out that you can't really do that yet. That is not really expecting too much, is it? Wouldn't that be better than just making excuses after all?

Which download are you talking about?

The default Super Grub2 Disk stable download (based on 1.98s1 version) is 1.44 MB size and thus a floppy image.
What are you missing exactly?

Not sure what you mean when you say that the procedure mentioned there is inadequate. Why is it?

Thank you for your feedback.

adrian15

Offline flopster

« Reply #8 on: 2013/06/10, 02:36:33 am »
Sorry for the hard post initially. I downloaded the most current one indicating that all three formats were included (including floppy, CD and USB), but the floppy image was not in there from what I saw. The one you just pointed out, however, did have the floppy image, and it booted fine. Thanks for that pointer. What I first used came from  "http://forja.cenatic.es/frs/download.php/file/1564/super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.00s1-beta5.iso", which linked from this page: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/supergrub2diskdownload/. This was the basis of my statement.

Now that I have two sets of programs to work with, I am analyzing my options. It looks like I may need to use the first one to begin with because it has more features. I am working on an older Dell machine in excellent condition but with limited functionality. It has two hard disks with separate Linux OS, both of which are encrypted. One of these OS I can now boot from the MBR, but the other one is not yet accessible to me. After I work this much out, I want to have it boot separately from the other OS, not from the MBR.

My perusing, or should I say scouring, the Internet has led me here to this site.