Author Topic: install SGD2 iso to USB with unetbootin?  (Read 32112 times)

Offline speedy

install SGD2 iso to USB with unetbootin?
« on: 2012/01/21, 12:59:55 pm »
Has anyone tried to install SuperGrubDisk 2 using unetbootin?  Does that work?  I use that for making USB bootable OSes and was wondering beforehand.  (I haven't tried yet)   :-X

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: install SGD2 iso to USB with unetbootin?
« Reply #1 on: 2012/01/21, 22:52:31 pm »
No. Unetbootin is not good enough to deal with SG2D... well... you might try to do this:

Rename iso to img.

Tell unetbootin that you want to put a floppy image on the usb. Select the img file.

Documentation about how to make a SG2D usb

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.

Offline speedy

« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/24, 13:25:32 pm »
Adrian.. 

I ran <unetbootin> and I renamed the .iso file to "super_grub2_disk_hybrid_1.99b1.img".  Then, I selected file type = Floppy and let it run onto a 4GB Wintec filemate memstick.  The result produced was a working USB device.  I was able to boot with that USB successfully.

I wanted to map all the OSes on a 500GB SATA disk.  The option "Detect any Grub" was selected.   After 8 minutes of silence  (porque tan lento?) , it found many grub menus.  Most were orphaned because grub2 has rendered all those legacy grub boot loader setups as lost, disappeared.  SG2D found everything:  Ubuntu, CentOS 5.5, Mint 7, Mint 9, SmoothSec, InstaSnorby, Memtest86+, etc.   Que bueno.

Thank you for your help.

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
    • El blog de adrian15
« Reply #3 on: 2012/02/12, 23:51:06 pm »
I don't know why it was slow but it worked! :).

Nice to know that the old trick of renaming the iso to img works.
Can you please write down the Super Grub2 Disk version you have used just for reference?

Thank you.
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.

Offline rolf1304

« Reply #4 on: 2012/07/03, 00:03:10 am »
Hello. I'm sorry for necrobumping but it might be interesting to add this fix to your wiki, since it is much more user friendly than the method with dd.
I've just stumbled upon the same problem and fixed it like this. This was with Unetbootin-windows-563 and SG2D 1.99 beta 1.

Also, I didn't have any problems with the boot screen loading slowly.

Fixed my problem in less than 2 minutes. I love SGD.

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
    • El blog de adrian15
« Reply #5 on: 2013/04/07, 12:18:39 pm »
That's Jordan work. Just connect to the Super Grub(2) Disk chat and try to persuade him to write that wiki instructions.

I want him to make Super Grub2 Disk his indeed.

I'm personally focused on Rescatux. Unless there are so many requests complaining about Super Grub(2) Disk being unmaintained... You know :)... I'm not going to document Super Grub2 Disk stuff. Making releases from time to time is ok because Jordan doesn't release so often.

adrian15