Author Topic: Your disk saved my computer :)  (Read 9922 times)

Offline Coward

Your disk saved my computer :)
« on: 2008/04/07, 08:37:52 am »
First, I wanted to thank the people who made this disk, because you saved my computer from certain destruction after GRUB decided to write garbage all over its own boot sector.

I still have a problem. I have dual-booted Fedora 8 and MS Vista. They are on separate disks. Currently, neither one of them boots by itself. The only way I can boot them is by "Boot Partition" on the Super Grub Disk, which is obviously a pain (I have to have the disk in the drive).

Otherwise, if (in BIOS) I set the Windows disk as the master, it fails, saying "BOOTMGR not found." This is not surprising, because the root Windows partition is actually the third partition on the disk.

On the other hand, if I set the Linux disk as the master, the machine displays "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner of the screen and hangs. I have very carefully checked my grub.conf file and I am sure that it is correct.

The ideal situation for me is to have GRUB come up on startup, and then I decide through there whether to use Windows or Linux. However, as I said above, it's just hanging. What do I need to do to fix this problem? Please help, I feel like I'm almost there :)

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: Your disk saved my computer :)
« Reply #1 on: 2008/04/07, 22:09:16 pm »
First, I wanted to thank the people who made this disk, because you saved my computer from certain destruction after GRUB decided to write garbage all over its own boot sector.
Thank you.
I still have a problem. I have dual-booted Fedora 8 and MS Vista. They are on separate disks. Currently, neither one of them boots by itself. The only way I can boot them is by "Boot Partition" on the Super Grub Disk, which is obviously a pain (I have to have the disk in the drive).

Otherwise, if (in BIOS) I set the Windows disk as the master, it fails, saying "BOOTMGR not found." This is not surprising, because the root Windows partition is actually the third partition on the disk.

On the other hand, if I set the Linux disk as the master, the machine displays "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner of the screen and hangs. I have very carefully checked my grub.conf file and I am sure that it is correct.

The ideal situation for me is to have GRUB come up on startup, and then I decide through there whether to use Windows or Linux. However, as I said above, it's just hanging. What do I need to do to fix this problem? Please help, I feel like I'm almost there :)

I have begun to reply to your question at the wiki: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Windows_Linux_Two_Hard_Disks_menu_lst. Unfortunately I am in a hurry. Please copy-paste here your menu.lst so that my answer is a better one on the wiki.

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.