Author Topic: Rhel 6.3 root password  (Read 7369 times)

Offline Red-Erik

Rhel 6.3 root password
« on: 2014/11/06, 08:45:13 am »
Hi, after using Rescatux (latest release 0.32b2) to recover root password (Rescatux successful) I'm not able to login as root any more.
Trying official root password recovery from Rhel doc https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/4/html/Step_by_Step_Guide/s1-q-and-a-root-passwd.html
I receive
passwd Authentication token manipulation error..could not obtain user info (root).
I'm now unable to regain access and any hint will be greatly appreciated.

Red.

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: Rhel 6.3 root password
« Reply #1 on: 2014/11/12, 10:58:05 am »
I will try to reproduce the problem in CentOS 6.3 in the next days.

Is there anything special on the authentication part of your installation that I should take care of?

Did you have problems on not being able to login?

I was wondering if your original problem comes from a virus changing manually /etc/passwd file and somehow mapping another user to id 0 (instead of root user). I had experienced it myself.

In the other hand the problem might come because Rescatux forces a given method of authentication (SHA1 instead of SHA512).

You might need to edit /etc/passwd manually in the end.

Finally you can try to reset root password again by using a very easy password written as if you had an English keyboard.

I mean, Rescatux does not work with your locale keyboard by default but with US keyboard (It will be fixed in next releases).

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.