Author Topic: Rescatux reported success in restoring GRUB, but it lied!  (Read 5422 times)

Offline NickF

Hi All,

I had a computer with Windows XP and OpenSuse installed and it was working fine. The computer died and I moved the hard disk into a different computer. In the new computer, none of the two operating systems worked, XP did not boot at all, while OpenSuse had a good will at least to try to operate.
I decided to install first a new version of OpenSuse (13.1) and I got it to work fine, done all the updates, etc and I was happy with it.

Then I went to fix Windows XP (now I know I should have done this step first).
I tried to repair the previous installation, but I had no luck. In the end I went to format the XP partition and I reinstalled XP. After installation, neither system booted up (I would have expected at least XP to boot up properly, but it didn't).
So I read on the net and found Rescatux. I used the disk, following the steps at  http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wizard-restore-grub-with-rescatux/ and it reported that grub was installed OK.
Unfortunately the help ends there, as if the job is successful, there is nothing else to do.
After I restart the computer, I get into a black screen with a grub > prompt.
Is this what I am supposed to expect?
Because if this is all what my computer can do now, I really am not that impressed :)
So, where is the part 2 of the tutorial?

Apart for this, I used Rescatux the second time, trying at least to restore the MBR for Windows. It reported success and now, when I start the computer, it shows MBR 12: (I am still, not impressed). Before shutdown, I used the file manager found on Rescatux and I can see all partitions (Windows and Linux and the folders in there - so the data is not lost - probably all I need now is a good system to restore the grub information :) )

Cheers,
Nick

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: Rescatux reported success in restoring GRUB, but it lied!
« Reply #1 on: 2014/07/13, 23:07:18 pm »
After I restart the computer, I get into a black screen with a grub > prompt.
Is this what I am supposed to expect?
Because if this is all what my computer can do now, I really am not that impressed :)
So, where is the part 2 of the tutorial?

Here there is the alternative tutorial: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wizard-restore-grub-with-super-grub2-disk/.
I guess that you either need to fsck (there's an option for that in Rescatux) your GNU/Linux partition.
Having here the Boot Info Script result (option in Rescatux) and the Restore grub logs would also be useful.

Apart for this, I used Rescatux the second time, trying at least to restore the MBR for Windows. It reported success and now, when I start the computer, it shows MBR 12: (I am still, not impressed). Before shutdown, I used the file manager found on Rescatux and I can see all partitions (Windows and Linux and the folders in there - so the data is not lost - probably all I need now is a good system to restore the grub information :) )

You are supposed to boot into your system by pressing 1 or 2 key. I still have to learn about someone having it to work. This Restore MBR for windows option is marked as BETA. Now you know why. I ask myself if this kind of bug is fixed in Rescatux 0.32 beta 1. I might replace install-mbr from syslinux with ms-sys-free but I'm not sure.

Which Rescatux version did you use?
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.