Author Topic: Rescatux - Error Msg: This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but detected i686  (Read 12980 times)

Offline ArchiMark

Hi,

Just discovered Rescatux. Hope it will be able to fix my grub boot issues...

Per the instructions, I downloaded the latest beta version of Rescatux and extracted the files in the iso.

Then selected the iso file inside the boot/boot-isos folder to install onto USB using UNetbootin....went OK...

Now, when I boot up laptop with USB stick, I get the following choices in the menu:

Back....
Live (486 failsafe)
Graphical install
Hardware Detection Tool (HDT)

When I select the Live option, I get the message:

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

When I extracted the iso file and looked inside the boot folder, there was only one iso file there. It is titled 'rescatux_cdrom_usb_hybrid_i386_amd64-486_0.31b3.iso'. This is the file I used.

Is there another file I should be using or was I supposed to extract this file and use or ????

Thanks for any help.

Mark
« Last Edit: 2013/07/08, 19:19:30 pm by ArchiMark »
Silicon Valley Digerati & Linux Noob

Offline ArchiMark

UPDATE

Decided to retry downloading Rescatux and extracting iso file....and then using PenDriveLinux instead of UNetbootin to make bootable USB drive...

The good news is that now I boot to what I think is the Rescatux boot menu.

The bad news is that when I select 'Live (4860' it starts to boot up, see some console text, then I see a faint and very incomplete image of some text, but can't read it, then after a short time the display on my little VAIO P laptop, turns black....and nothing happens after that....

When I select the Live 486 (Failsafe Mode) it starts to boot up, see lots of lines of text scrolling by, but does not stop, waited a few minutes...assume it's due to kernel panic....

Any suggestions????

Thanks!
Silicon Valley Digerati & Linux Noob

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
The instructions found at  http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ advise you to use Universal USB Installer.

Complain to the Unetbooting people if you want to use that particular software. I think that Unetbootin does not extract info from isolinux.cfg file but add its own code to boot it.
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
The good news is that now I boot to what I think is the Rescatux boot menu.

The bad news is that when I select 'Live (4860' it starts to boot up, see some console text, then I see a faint and very incomplete image of some text, but can't read it, then after a short time the display on my little VAIO P laptop, turns black....and nothing happens after that....

Well, I'm not sure if root device is not being found or if your problem is because some sort of resolution or VAIO specific problem.
Can you try to append vga=normal to boot parametres and see if you seem some more clear error?

Thank you.

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.