Author Topic: Question about supergrub  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Zachary1234

Question about supergrub
« on: 2013/05/27, 12:08:05 pm »
I have heard that the supergrub program, or failing that the Rescatux Linux disk, includes support for extract of .vhd files.  Is this true?

I want to, and know how to by other means, to organise an ext3 dual boot partition on my pc.  What I don't know how to do next is to convert my Oracle VirtualBox .vhd file contents by extracting it out onto a partition.  Can Rescatux Linux, supergrub help me here?

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: Question about supergrub
« Reply #1 on: 2013/06/02, 12:31:29 pm »
I have heard that the supergrub program, or failing that the Rescatux Linux disk, includes support for extract of .vhd files.  Is this true?
No. Rescatux is a Debian live cd, if there were Debian packages to be able to extract vhd files you could install them. But in order to do so I recommend you to use other live cds or maybe a Gnu/Linux installation.

I want to, and know how to by other means, to organise an ext3 dual boot partition on my pc.  What I don't know how to do next is to convert my Oracle VirtualBox .vhd file contents by extracting it out onto a partition.  Can Rescatux Linux, supergrub help me here?
Rescatux can help you on reinstalling Grub into MBR when the files are copied. Rescatux cannot rewrite fstab (if you needed that) for you yet. For you want to do you need probably two computers, one with .vhd running on it and a Gnu/Linux, probably better as a live cd. Just copy the files by the network from one installation to the other one and then recover Grub.

Unfortunately I haven't found any howto that explains what I'm taking about but... anyways... just find a howto that teachs you how to move or migrate a Gnu/Linux installation from one computer to another one and you're done.

If, once found, you have doubts on boot issues just ask here.

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.