Author Topic: Can't read text on monitor  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Freddy_UK

Can't read text on monitor
« on: 2013/01/18, 01:21:59 am »
Can you tell me where I'm going wrong please? I can't read the text on Rescatux on the monitor I'm using as it's impossibly small - which makes the tool unusable. The  resolution 1920x1024 (a media centre pc). If there are any settings in the tool once it's booted I can't read them! Is there a way around this - or am I the only chap using a HD screen as a monitor?
I tried posting earlier, but the post seems to have been wiped and I had to re-register with same name and pw for some reason. Would be grateful for any help.

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
Re: Can't read text on monitor
« Reply #1 on: 2013/01/19, 11:09:54 am »
Can you tell me where I'm going wrong please? I can't read the text on Rescatux on the monitor I'm using as it's impossibly small - which makes the tool unusable. The  resolution 1920x1024 (a media centre pc). If there are any settings in the tool once it's booted I can't read them! Is there a way around this - or am I the only chap using a HD screen as a monitor?
I've written this for you:
http://rescatux.berlios.de/wiki/Main_Page#How_to_change_resolution . Not sure when a proper menu will be implemented but the keyboard locale should be also set and I might just add it to the grub2 menu such as the old Multidistrox boot menus based on SGD1.

I tried posting earlier, but the post seems to have been wiped and I had to re-register with same name and pw for some reason. Would be grateful for any help.
We have been migrating from hosting twice in the last weeks. Sorry for that.
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.

Offline fotoryder

« Reply #2 on: 2013/04/01, 04:35:25 am »
I've run into this problem in several Debian/Ubuntu based distros, installing onto an Intel motherboard with built in VESA video adapter. The solution seems to be to force the Dots Per Inch (DPI) setting to about 102, but I haven't been able to find this in Rescatux.

I have found a work around. This involves finding the font selections, and setting them to about 20 or 24 points.  Here are the steps I followed:
After allowing Rescatux to boot fully,
click on the mountain icon in the lower left of the screen,
click on Preferences, the 3rd icon from the bottom,
click on Appearances, the top icon in the list,
click on Fonts, in the bottom left of the window that pops open.  Set the font selection to a size you can see. I found 20 to 24 point fonts were readable. 
Click OK, and then Close to close that window.

Then work through the same process,
click on the mountain icon in the lower left of the screen,
click on Preferences, the 3rd icon from the bottom,
click on Openbox Configuration Manager, the 2rd icon from the bottom,
click on Appearance, the 2nd item from the top on the left side of the window, and set all of the fonts at the bottom of the window to a size you can read.

That still leaves a few items on the bottom toolbar/status bar in unreadable fonts, but I can work with the items that I need to be able to read.

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
    • El blog de adrian15
« Reply #3 on: 2013/04/07, 11:30:36 am »
I've run into this problem in several Debian/Ubuntu based distros, installing onto an Intel motherboard with built in VESA video adapter. The solution seems to be to force the Dots Per Inch (DPI) setting to about 102, but I haven't been able to find this in Rescatux.
[...]

Have you tried the proposed solution: http://rescatux.berlios.de/wiki/Main_Page#How_to_change_resolution ?

Although I'm not sure it's going to solve the problem you can try Rescatux 0.31 beta 1 which it's now based on Wheezy instead of Squeeze and report back if it improves or not.

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.

Offline Freddy_UK

« Reply #4 on: 2014/01/20, 20:53:18 pm »
It's been a very long time since my post - and a belated "thank you" for trying to help with the resolution problem - but your suggestion at http://rescatux.berlios.de/wiki/Main_Page#How_to_change_resolution
did nothing at all to help the problem on my system, the text size / resolution was unchanged, so still unreadable. I tried for a very long time before giving up and (sad to say) using an alternative fix.
Presumably the other poster - fotoryder - had tried your suggestion also before posting his comment, so I suggest the problem still exists.
The system in question is an Intel i3 processor, GA-H67N-USB3-B3 H67 mobo (Intel graphics) and a Sony HD TV.
Kind Regards,

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
    • El blog de adrian15
« Reply #5 on: 2014/07/13, 21:54:06 pm »
(Sorry for the late answer).

Has anyone been able to reproduce the same bug in the newest: Rescatux 0.32 beta 1?

Thank you.