Author Topic: Installed Win 7 now can't get back to vista recovery partition  (Read 6650 times)

Offline ghot

Ok I have a Gateway laptop that came with Windows Vista installed.  I stupidly installed Windows 7 RC....just to test it out.....but now I can't use the Vista recovery partition to restore the laptop to factory condition.  I have NO data on the laptop that needs saving.   I Have downloaded super_grub_disk_0.9798.iso and burned it to a CD...I can boot from the CD, no problem....

Now I need to know how to Use the SGD to restore my laptop to the Vista factory condition, using the SGD...I have read this section of the Wiki...

Other titles for this same problem.

* Can Supergrub access and start the recovery partition for vista?

Solution

If the recovery partition can be chainloaded you can use:

* Choose Language & Help
    * Boot & Tools
    * Boot Partition

and you choose it from the menu.

....I THINK I understand it....I'm not sure I understand what chainloaded means though...If someone could explain this to me simply, i would very much appreciate it....thx  ;)

Offline ghot

Re: Installed Win 7 now can't get back to vista recovery partition
« Reply #1 on: 2009/09/27, 08:02:40 am »
In other words i need simple instructions for using the SGD to allow me to use the vista recovery partition to restore my laptop to factory condition...Thx  ;)

Offline ghot

« Reply #2 on: 2009/09/27, 21:43:00 pm »
bump

Offline adrian15

• Administrator
  • Please test Rescatux and report back feedback...
    • El blog de adrian15
« Reply #3 on: 2009/09/28, 17:04:15 pm »
If the recovery partition can be chainloaded you can use:

* Choose Language & Help
    * Boot & Tools
    * Boot Partition

and you choose it from the menu.

....I THINK I understand it....I'm not sure I understand what chainloaded means though...If someone could explain this to me simply, i would very much appreciate it....thx  ;)
Chainload means being booted from elsewhere.

That's it. These are the options you should choose.

Try with the first partition, then the second partition till you find something similar to the Vista recovery partition boots.

adrian15
If you have liked this piece of advice please consider donating to the Super Grub Disk project.